Date of Birth: 17 July 1941.
University degrees: Physician, 1964, Kiev Bogomoletz Medical State University;
Ph. D., Biochemistry, 1968, Academy of Sciences of USSR;
Dr. Biol. sci., Molecular Biology, 1999, National Academy of Sciences.
Place of work: Institute of Molecular Biology and Genetics, National Academy of Sciences
of the Ukraine.
Present position: Head of the group, Leading Sci. Researcher.
Associated professor in Kyiv-Mohyla Academy.
Associted professor in National Taras Shevchenko University.
Phone: +380 44 5261139 (w.); +380 44 2873564 (h.).
Fax: +380 44 5260759.
Research Interests concern two projects that are held in our group:
- The study of molecular mechanisms of liver transition from quiescence to proliferation
- We are looking for the molecular processes that enable the sequential entry of different
liver cells into proliferation and coordination of liver cells functions during this process,
the maintenance of cell-specific functions at the background of active proliferation. We
explore the intercellular cross-talk by studying the cytokines expression and nitric oxide
production by different liver cells. Now we investigate the involvement of IFN system in
regenerating process and in acute-phase response. We concentrate ourselves on the study of
IFN a /β expression, on expression of their receptor and targets. The latter include
2,'5'-oligo(A) synthetase, enigmatic RNAse L, protein kinase R, caspase and proteasome
- The study of detoxification function of human placenta
- We explore human placental detoxification system in relation to environment and
individual genotype of several enzymes metabolically related to the activity of glutathione
S-transferase, the main placental detoxication enzyme. Now we focus our efforts on the
regulation of transcription of glutathione S-transferase by identification the transcription
factors and methylation status of glutathione S-transferase promoter.
- Obolenskaya M.Yu., Bernauer H., Tran - Thi T.-A., Decker K. (1994) Levels of RNA for TNF-a
and TNF receptors during the prereplicative period of liver regeneration. - Biopolimeru i
kletka - V.10, N4. - P.152 - 156.
- Obolenskaya M.Yu., Vanin A.F., Mordvintcev P.I., Mulsch A., Decker K. (1994) EPR evidence
of nitric oxide production by the regenerating rat liver. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm.
- V. 202, N1. - Р. 571 - 576.
- Obolenskaya M.Yu., Schulze-Specking A., Plaumann B., Frenzer K., Freudenberg N. and K.
Decker. (1994) Nitric oxide production by cells isolated from regenerating rat liver.
Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. - V. 204, N3. - Р. 1305 -1311.
- Obolenskaya M.Yu., Decker K. (1995) Cytokines, nitric oxide synthesis and liver
regeneration. - J. Gastroenterology and Hepatology.. - N10. - S12-S17.
- Obolenskaya M.Yu. (1997) Cytokines and liver regeneration. - EOS - J. Immunology and
Immunopharmacology. - V.17, N2. - Р. 51 -58.
- Obolenskaya M.Yu., T.L.Tchaikovskaya, L..M. Lebedeva, L.L. Macevitcz, L.V.Didenko,
K.Decker. (1997) Glutathione status of placentae from differently polluted regions of
Ukraine. - European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology. - 1997.
- V.71, N 1. - P.23-30.
- Obolenskaya M.Yu. (1999) The book: Rat liver regeneration: molecular processes, their
regulation and the time scale. - Kiev, Znannya. - 34 p.
- Obolenskaya M., Teplyuk N., Sasonova L., Prima V., Malko M., Bondarenko E.,
Didenko L., Vit V., Divi R., Poirier M., Pasanen M. (2004) Glutathione S-transferase
activity and PAH-DNA adducts in human placenta as a risk factor for newborn in radioactively
contaminated regions // Intern. J. Rad. Med. - N 1-2. -P. 154-166.